Navigate by clicking on doors or door numbers.
…a room with three other doors. Looking out the windows my feet crushed something on the floor.
“Watch your step here,” I warned them. I’m always ready to be helpful with the less important things.
“Look at those two trees out there,” one said, looking over my shoulder, which is not easy to do.
“Must be a real wind coming up.”
Now they realized that it could rain where they were going.
“We should have brought that bumbershoot with us from the coat room…”
“Which room was that?”
“You remember, the one with the animal…”
I suggested that we take the door on my right and they realized they had found the door they had been seeking for so long, the entrance to…
- Images and text copyright 1985 by Christopher Manson
used with permission. [Purchase MAZE from Amazon]
Solution Summary: [COLLECTION CURATED BY WHITE Raven. SEE COMMENTS FOR ADDITIONAL SOLUTION PROPOSALS.]
● The correct door is 8. [Credit: Unknown - during the 1985 contest.]
● The part of the Riddle of the Path in this room is “shoulder” which is spelled out in letters over the remaining rooms of The Path. [Credit: Unknown - prior to 1990.]
● The phrase “EVERYTHING RIGHT” on the scroll refers to the three items in the room which are in pairs, the stone tablets, the gloves, and the glass doors. And draws attention to the “broken pane” solution below. [Independent Credit: LoMoody | White Raven] The text may reinforce this by mentioning “those two trees” another pair. Each set represents 10 numbers, the right hand stone tablet has the numbers 6-10, the left hand glove has 5 curled fingers, right hand glove has 5 extended fingers, and the left and right hand glass doors each has 5 panes. The extended fingers of the glove suggest counting. [Credit: White Raven] [See related images] The word “NOTHING” on the scroll refers to the broken pane. [Independent Credit: LoMoody | White Raven] [See related images] The 10 panes of glass in door 19 relate to the numerals on the stone tablets, the broken pane corresponds to VIII on the tablet (8) which is the correct door. [Independent Credit: vewatkin | White Raven]
● “Feet” and “wind” are mentioned in the text, corresponding to this above door 19 is a foot and above door 28 is a storm. [Independent Credit: Slala | White Raven] The door with the sun is bathed is illuminated by light which appears to be emitted from the sun in over the picture over the door. [Credit: SP] Over door 45 is a picture of a night sky, over door 8, the correct door, is the sun. In MAZE sun and light are metaphors for correct, while the moon or darkness are metaphors for wrong. [Independent Credit: SP / Dave Gentile | White Raven] Also the bottom line of the scroll says “THE TIME IS”, with the daylight streaming in the window and light illuminating door 8 it is clear it is daytime. [Independent Credit: vewatkin | White Raven]
● The phrases in the scroll “EVERYTHING RIGHT” “NOTHING” and “THE TIME IS” give us the letter O. The solutions being, respectively “O.K.” “0″ (zero) and “O’Clock” [Manson]
● The pole of the hat rack is the same width as the trim on the wall which it crosses. The result is a plus sign. The door on either side has four reveals stacked vertically. The result is a simple equation spelled out as 4 + 4, indicating door 8, the correct door. The gloves on the hat rack with some fingers extended may reinforce this solution by suggesting counting. [Credit: SP]